Cleanup, repair, and upgrade of a Hewlett Packard (HP)6200B power supply.
My old HP 6200B power supply was starting to have problems with excessive ripple and voltage regulation problems. I had a good idea of what the problem was before I even opened the case. What I didn’t expect was all the 4‑terminal electrolytic capacitors.
Several of the rectified DC filter capacitors were way out of tolerance electrically. I removed the 4‑terminal capacitors and replaced them with equivalent 2‑terminal capacitors along with an axial in C10.
I quickly ran into a problem in that the three negative pins connected to different parts of the circuit. The quick and easy way was to jumper the negative pads together to bridge the circuits just as the 4‑terminal capacitors did.
It would work, but I was not entirely happy with that solution.
I ended up with a labor intensive, but low cost solution to the problem.
The solution was a small 1″ diameter printed circuit board to adapt the new capacitors to the original 4‑terminal pinout, and allow the new capacitors to be mounted in the original aluminum capacitor shells.
The lead spacing on the PCB for the new capacitors is 7.5 mm.
The new capacitors easily fit into the existing aluminum shell with plenty of room to spare.
The two hardest parts of the process are carefully opening the cans and cleaning the old capacitor electrolyte out so that they can be reused .
I also used this process when working on my HP 6205C dual-output power supply.
Eagle CAD ZIP file Capacitor155triangle12.zip